Follow by Email

My Website

Friday, April 13, 2007

Italian X-Files


I was too sleepy last night to post this.


As I was doing dishes I had a very clear flashback to an evening back when I was in Italy (July, 2001 - my gift to myself for graduation). My 2 bratty roomates had gone out to party and I stayed home to relax and honestly enjoy the quiet...those few times when I could pretend that I was in my own apartment in Rome. I had gone to the corner market, came back and cooked myself an American Meal (cheeseburger and french fries) because I was feeling homesick. Sat down on the rickety wicker loveseat in front of the tv....and my favorite show at the time (X-FILES) was on....in Italian!

So there I was, eating my cheeseburger and fries, watching x-files in Italian and understanding most of it....and although I was proud of myself for re-capturing my fluency in Italian, I couldn't stop crying, because I would have paid $1,000 for them to be speaking good ole American English.

I washed the dishes, put them away...then stood on the balcony and looked up at the stars in the Italian sky, wondering what my loved ones were doing at that same moment....listening to the sounds of the courtyard and families moving about in their homes....feeling the slight breeze that refreshed my spirit.

what a nice memory, tears and all ;)




1 comment:

Rob Kistner said...

I like your writing "voice" and enjoyed visiting your blog. Stop by mine sometime at image-verse.com
Thanks! ...Rob