Follow by Email

My Website

Thursday, May 17, 2007

New Piece


This is a piece I did last week. It is 10"x16", Watercolor/Ink on Wood.

The Title - "Revenant Dungeon", makes reference to an imprisoned phantom. Phantom in this case being energy or essence of one that has passed on. It no longer exists except in ethereal form, however it still carries with it the "baggage" of its previous reality (the carved flesh, wounded heart, self-imposed enclosure).

I'm finally using the wood from my shelves in Alabama. When I came back to Miami (I can't believe it will be a year next month), I had my dad cut the plywood for me to eventually work on.
Everything is symbolic for me...this wood takes me back to a particular moment...a pleasant memory, so I kept it. Held onto it, knowing that experience will never happen again.
Re-using breathes new life into them, allowing them to live up to their full potential, to be something better than they were before.

I've previously mentioned that I am surrounded by boxes with my "stuff" from when I moved back. Everything I have is a potential art supply for me. All objects are infused with energy and memories. And because my work is auto-biographical, these "things" that have been a part of my life in some way, I feel, must be preserved...whether its in their original state or in a renewed form.



© "Revenant Dungeon"



No comments: