Follow by Email

My Website

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Today...

A friend invited me to have lunch with her and her husband. I haven't seen her since I quit my job (its been a month already!), so it was nice to just catch up a little bit. Its funny, before we were leaving she asked me what I was planning on doing today and I just smiled and said, "I'm not sure..."
She wished she could say the same (she had to get back to work).

After lunch I filled the gas tank (don't even ask how much that was) and drove around for an hour, music blasting....ahh.

Anyway, for a couple of days now I've been feeling well, lets say...nostalgic. This is dangerous for me, because my brain doesn't know how to shut up and so it just re-hashes things over and over til its nauseating. I've been mulling over some things and there is a particular song I cannot stop repeating - seriously I've heard it dozens of times. Its quite beautiful, the melody, the singing, the percussion, etc. Of course the lyrics have kept me in that mushy state.


Click this Ricky Martin (he is so beautiful - yummy) link and as the page opens the song starts to play. It is titled "Tu Recuerdo". The female voice belongs to Mari de Chambao, her vocals take the song to another level for me. Click on her name for her site, which is quite lovely.


Here are the lyrics in Spanish (translation follows) :

Tu Recuerdo

Tu recuerdo sigue aqui
como un aguacero
rompe fuerte sobre mi
ay pero a fuego lento
quema y moja por igual
ya no se lo que pensar
si tu recuerdo me hace bien o me hace mal

Un beso gris, un beso blanco
todo depende del lugar
que yo me fui eso esta claro,
pero tu recuerdo no se va
siento tus labios en las noches de verano
ahi estan cuidando de mi soledad,
pero a veces me quiere matar

Tu recuerdo sigue aqui
como un aguacero
rompe fuerte sobre mi
ay pero a fuego lento
quema y moja por igual
y ya no se lo que pensar
si tu recuerdo me hace bien o me hace mal

A veces gris, a veces blanco
todo depende del lugar
que tu te fuiste eso es pasado
se que te tengo que olvidar,
pero yo le puse una velita a to' mis santos
ahi esta pa' que pienses mucho en mi
no dejes de pensar en mi

Tu recuerdo sigue aqui
ay como un aguacero
rompe fuerte sobre mi
ay pero a fuego lento
quema y moja por igual
y ya no se lo que pensar
si tu recuerdo me hace bien o me hace mal

Piensa en mi
es antidoto y veneno al corazon
piensa bien
quema y moja
que viene y va
tu donde estas?
atrapado entre los versos y el adios

Tu recuerdo sigue aqui
como aguacero de mayo
rompe fuerte sobre mi
y cae tan fuerte que hasta
me quema hasta la piel
quema y moja por igual
y ya no se lo que pensar
si tu recuerdo me hace bien o me hace mal


tu recuerdo sigue aqui
leirolai lerolelo ooo
rompe fuerte sobre mi
pero que rompe, rompe el corazon
quema y moja por igual
se que te tengo que olvidar
si tu recuerdo me hace bien o me hace mal

-------------

Spanish is more lyrical and poetic, somehow the words and sentiment do not translate well...but this will give you an idea.

-------------

Your memory (literal translation)

Your memory remains here
like a rainstorm
breaks hard over me
oh but a slow fire
burns and wets equally
i no longer know whether to think
if your memory does me good
or does me harm

a gray kiss, a white kiss
all depends on the place.
that i left, that is clear
but your Memory does not leave.
[I feel your lips in the nights of summer
there they care for my solitude],
at times it wants to kill me.

Your memory remains here
like a rainstorm
breaks hard over me
oh but a slow fire
burns and wets equally
i no longer know whether to think
if your memory does me good
or does me harm

at times gray, at times white
all depends on the place
that you left, that is the past.
i know i must forget,
but i put a candle to my saints,
there it is,
for you to think of me
don't ever stop thinking of me

your memory remains here
like a rainstorm
breaks hard over me
oh but a slow fire
burns and wets equally
i no longer know whether to think
if your memory does me good
or does me harm

think of me
its antidote and poison to the heart
think well
burn and wet
that comes and goes
where are you?
trapped between the verses
and the goodbye

your memory remains here
like a rainstorm
breaks hard over me
oh but a slow fire
burns and wets equally
i no longer know whether to think
if your memory does me good
or does me harm

your memory remains here
leirolai lerolelo ooo
breaks hard over me
but it breaks, breaks the heart

burns and wets equally
i know i must forget,
whether or not your memory
does me good
or does me harm.






2 comments:

Suzette said...

I LOVE this song too. By any chance, do you know if La Mari got sick? Or did she just completely empower herself and shaved her head because she wanted to?

Thanks and love your blog :)

Ana said...

Hi Suzette,

Thanks for reading.

Isn't LaMari awesome? She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2005 and lost her hair from the treatment.
I know of women that chop it all off for "empowerment". I wish I had the balls to do it - it must be very freeing not having to worry about bad hair days.