Follow by Email

My Website

Friday, September 14, 2007

The Brave One


It's pretty much guaranteed that I will go see anything with Jodie Foster in it. Her talent is limitless...I love, love, love her.


I went to see this movie, knowing I would enjoy it because the trailer had me intrigued. I've been counting down the days for its release, for 2-3 weeks now and with great anticipation. I was able to sit in a good spot, without anyone around to annoy me. The (at least 10) previews indicate there are some good movies coming out soon - so that gives me something to look forward to. I swear it was like half an hour of movie trailers (its a bit much don't you think?).

Anyway, the storyline is very familiar of course...there were what, 5 Death Wishes? (of which maybe only 2 were worthwhile). But "The Brave One" left me feeling something similar to what I felt when I saw 300. Of course not as intense, but I lingered in the theater...thoughts running through my head. I did notice that when it was over there was a noticeable silence in the room. Usually when a movie is over and people are walking out, they are talking and commenting, etc. Not today, not after this one...the silence was very strange. Could it be that Miami audiences don't cheer and clap out loud for fear of what the person next to them will think, because they're all superficial idiots?!?!?!

I digress.

Throughout the movie there were moments when I cheered, cried, laughed and shook my head in disbelief...it grabs you and doesn't let go.
The cinematography was engrossing. The fact that she records sounds of the city intrigued me, the way she speaks, the things she says...very lyrical. Of course its the artist in me that enjoyed those things, but there is also the underlying theme of how one incident can change your life forever, that I identified strongly with. The old "she" was becoming invisible, especially due to the new direction in her life.

It's not just the killing of vermin that thrilled me (although I think most law abiding citizens relish the thought of a vigilante "taking out" the useless dredges of society, for those of us who dare not). I truly felt a connection with this character...the reasons for which I'm not fully aware. Perhaps its just because of the exceptional acting of Jodie Foster (and also Terrence Howard) and no explanation is necessary.

Don't misunderstand, it's not all killing and poetry, there's some comedic moments, action and a gratuitous love scene...so there's something for everyone. There is a good balance of all the elements and the characters. Terrence is smooth and has a calming very pleasant presence that balances Jodie's crisp, sometimes nervous demeanor. The way the director/writer cuts an anxiety driven moment with some comedic relief allows the viewer respite to catch their breath.

I won't go on and on, suffice it to say that I really enjoyed this film and
I recommend it.



No comments: